Monday, May 24, 2010

My First Quilt




















I have been so inspired by a variety of friends of late, and their beautiful quilts, that I thought I should give it a try. My girlfriend, Kathy, recently started a charity, Quilting for Babes, where quilts are made and donated to sick babies in the NICU at our local Children's Hospital, and I thought I would like to contribute a few in thanks for the health of my three beautiful kids. This quilt is the first of those- and the first quilt I have actually ever made! While I have a few more under my belt now, this quilt will always be special to me. I learned so much making it, and I feel so good knowing where it is going- I hope its bright colors, which remind me of summer and sherbet, will brighten the day of a sick child and their family, and give them some hope. Love and prayers went into each stitch. It was made with fabrics from my local fabric store, and quilted with a meandering horizontal pattern and I just love the informal look, it suits this modern-style quilt well!

I am sharing this quilt with the community at the Blogger's Quilt Festival- please go check out all the amazing entries! http://www.amyscreativeside.com/2010/05/bloggers-quilt-festival-spring-2010.html.
Kristie

22 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

A very special and beautiful first quilt. Love the pattern and the color selection.

Allie said...

Beautiful quilt, and for a beautiful cause. Well done.

linda said...

Great job!

GLÒRIA said...

Very beautiful quilt!!!
Heppy Festival!!!

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

What a great start on your quilting and on your blog!


Caron
http://bloggingforquilters.blogspot.com/

LJ said...

My favourite colours in a quilt!

Carol said...

A very pretty quilt for a very good cause.

Marie said...

very nice, congratulations

Jennifer said...

This is a beautiful first quilt! You should be very proud!

Jennifer :)

viridian said...

And she's off! A great first quilt.

Little Island Quilting said...

Beautiful...my first quilt wasn't that nice!

Marika said...

Very beautiful quilt work !

Kristie said...

Thanks so much for all of your comments!

Marjorie said...

I may borrow your idea for meandering quilt lines.

Kathy said...

What a good deed. Your baby quilt for a new infant will surely be appreciated. What nice colors you have chosen for some precious baby girl.

Leslie said...

what a special way to give back and share your talent with others. this is a gorgeous quilt

Eileen said...

great colors and love the reason behind it! thanks for sharing

rebecs said...

i love the bright colors, and the simplicity of your quilt. great job!

Zlaty said...

Simple and pretty!

Happy sewing!

Michelle said...

A very special first quilt! And such wonderful colors!

Claire said...

Love the oranges and pinks!

debbi d-w said...

You must be a true quilter - giving away your very first creation, and to an unknown someone, no less. I love your color choice and the design - lovely.