Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Roadtrip byproduct

Did I mention that our otherwise wonderful holiday involved a SEVEN HOUR drive each way? When I wasn't busy dislocating my shoulder from passing back a constant stream of treats and juice boxes to entertain the little monkeys in the backseat, I used my time to do some of the hand crafts I seldom have the chance to do (when am I ever sitting for an extended period of time?). One of the projects I completed, just in time for summer, is a warm, fluffy, knitted scarf.

Doesn't Edward look manly? I told my husband that a life sized vampire was a very practical purchase, and here he is, being put to good use!
This is my first adventure in knitting since 1993, when I knit my hubby the longest, widest scarf in history, for our 6 month dating anniversary. This one is earmarked for The Middle Child, who of course selected the lovely pink yarn. I got hooked by Denese, who "enabled" my OCD by lending me her "Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting" book ("Keep it as long as you want"- I already am eyeing up a cable knit pattern). I do feel a certain responsibility to knitting, as my grandmother was the one to teach me the basics when I was a preteen, and while I don't recall a single product of her knitting skills, I want to carry on the tradition. I think of her each time I pick up the needles :-)

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Just found your blog from Flikr. Love the scarf, I am almost finished one in this same pattern. I'm not a very good knitter, But love your model! maybe I could convince my family that I NEED a scarf model like him too! : ) Gonna go and become a follower now,
Kelli
xxx