Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gifts revealed: Russian Doll makeup bags

I was perusing Noodlehead for something else altogether when I got distracted. You see, I have a touch of ADD to go along with my OCD. I stumbled across Anna's tutorial for her patchwork makeup bags, and decided on the spot to make a couple for a couple of my favorite people for Christmas.
I love how they turned out! I used some Kokka material I had picked up with these sweet Russian Matryoshka dolls, which are a favorite of my friend Samantha. I paired it with some scraps containing mostly reds, then added one Hunky Dory print in aqua to add a splash of color.
The inside is some Amy Butler Love Spots that matches the outer aqua perfectly! It feels so fresh. I love that red/aqua/linen combo!
One the reverse side, I appliqued a little doll :-)
Ummm, ignore the wrinkles!

My only regret is that most of the red Amy Butler Love spots at the bottom of the patchwork strip became hidden under the bag when I squared off the corners. But otherwise, a pretty nice finish for a job on the fly! Now, what was it I SUPPOSED to be doing??.........

12 comments:

Tara said...

i love this bag! i have been looking for some of the russian doll fabric and have not found it yet. very cute.

Christie describeHappy said...

These really are darling!! Glad you got distracted and shared them with us!

LisaG said...

These are really lovely, your fabric choices were perfect.

SoozeM said...

Wow they are gorgeous, I love the red/aqua/linen too, and that Russian doll fabric really makes it!!

Unknown said...

Cute!
I have found myself using the love dots for a lots of projects, too!

Anna said...

so cute!! love those dolls and I'm glad you got distracted on my blog, hehehe

Anonymous said...

They're so gorgeous! Love the Russian doll fabric and such neat handiwork.

Kara Forristall said...

Not only do i love the bags... but i love all the photographs you post of your crafty work! you are more and more of an inspiration to me each time i look at your blog!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! I adore linen and Russian dolls... you put together a wonderful combination!

Jennifer :)

Quiltstory said...

Those are really cute, and make-up bags are always handy. I love the fabrics you used to patchwork with!

diplofam said...

where did you get the russian nesting doll fabric??????
The only ones I can find are on Etsy for $20 a yard-yikes!
Thanks!

Make a Gift Basket said...

Build your own gift basket for all occasions.
Here you can find all the gifts from baby gifts to adult birthday gifts.
Regards.
Gift Basket Experts