Monday, July 28, 2014

a pile of finished quilts for the cottage

Of course getting a new cottage last summer meant that I "needed" new quilts for every bed (and any other possible surface).  And it just so happens my girls have a pair of bunk beds in the "girls' room".  Four twin quilts were in order!

I decided to do coordinating but not matching quilts.  They will all be in one room so I wanted a bit of a colour theme but not looking too....orderly ;)  Keeping it carefree! So, I planned two quilts using Briar Rose for The Middle Child's bunks, and then two quilts in a variety of yellows, oranges, pinks and greys for the bunk beds for Last But Not Least.  I got 3 of the 4 pieced by last November's Loon Lake retreat....but then they sat...and sat...

Well,  while enjoying a lot of this over the past few weeks...






....I have managed to baste, quilt and finish these three!

Only one of the Briar Rose ones done, but here it is:



Did a bit of a lattice, and quilted it with an all over daisy and loop pattern.  Bound it in some Flea Market Fancy green seed print and made a simple but cute cottage label, just using a Sharpie.



Then it was on to LBNL's quilts.  I kind of favour these, I admit.  First, a granny square quilt with some stippled quilting:



Loved how the orange binding on this quilt matched the front and AMH back so perfectly.  Again with a label.




And finally, a fun equilateral triangle quilt!  Straight line quilting along either side of the seams for this one.



A happy yellow Kate & Birdie binding and one of my favourite backings...love those big pink flowers! And another label!  Go, Me! ;)




And here are the two coordinating ones together.  Love how they compliment each other.



Phew!  Now it's time to sit back and drink some wine and have a rest, wouldn't you say??  Back to the lake I go!

19 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful quilts! So much work, but how lovely for a new cottage!

Ella said...

They're perfect! So summery and happy!

ipatchandquilt said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous quilts!
Esther

What Comes Next? said...

beautiful quilts, and yes, you do deserve that nice big glass of wine and a sit on the dock to watch the world for awhile. Happy summer!

Leanne said...

All three of these quilts are beautiful, and I especially love the granny squares. What a beautiful spot on your lake.

Amanda said...

These are fantastic. They will look so great in the girls' room. Can't wait to see what you have planned for number 4!

agnes said...

They are so beautiful and cheery! Perfect for summer!

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Great colour choices. Bet they'll look lovely in the girls' bunkroom... we just had plain 'ole sleeping bags at our cottage!

Unknown said...

love the coordinated look without the "matchy matchy" - more fun to do that way too. Reminds me of yearly summer vacations in Northern MN. Walleye, Northern, ... and leaches in the water.

SuzyMcQ said...

I heartily agree with the others, they are lovely, and coordinate beautifully. Congrats on the cabin and the lovely quilts!

Michele said...

They all are really fabulous. Yeah for you.

Isisjem said...

Oh wow these are so pretty. I especially love the triangle one because I'm not very good with triangles! You need a sit down and a big bottle of wine now ;-)

Аленушка said...

I love one with triangles😍😍😍😍! How did you choose the pieces of material? Wonderful and colorful!
Aljonushka from faraway Belarus

Tawny said...

Gorgeous! All of them! I especially love the triangle one. Your break is well deserved for sure. I hope you're still out at the lake cuz it sounds like it's gonna be warm and sunny for the next week. :)

alidiza said...

These are all so beautiful and what a perfect way to spend the summer!!! Kick back and enjoy that wine:-)

Unknown said...

Just Beautiful!

Katy Cameron said...

Fab collection! I obviously need another house to fill with quilts, sounds like a great excuse to me ;o)

CitricSugar said...

Those are lovely - and clever to make coordinating ones that didn't get too matchy! You never want people to feel like the lake house is a "dorm". :-) Clean and polished but relaxed - perfect.

Sarah said...

Beautiful quilt finishes Kristie! My favourite is the Granny Square, although I do like the pattern design of the lattice in the squares one.