Friday, May 13, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays quilt complete

Welcome, visitors from Blogger's Quilt Festival! Thanks for stopping by :-) Today I am going to share my latest finished quilt, which I am calling "Singing in the Rain."

It has had several other names during its construction, like "Stupid D#*m Thing" and "IhateyouIhateyou," but, Singing in the Rain it will be!

I started this one a couple months ago, as a birthday present for my 4 year old daughter. She has an April birthday, so, as "April showers bring May flowers," I thought this would be the perfect fabric for her special twin sized quilt. I designed it myself, inspired by one of the fabrics of the line. I wanted it to look like random, swirling, dancing umbrella tops!
It has definitely been the most time consuming quilt that I have made in my {relatively} short quilting career. Not so much difficult as tedious...each umbrella top you see here involved the following:
cut, sew, cut, press, square, sew, press, square, cut, sew, press, square, cut, press, applique. Times 48.

Anyhoo, at that point I was going to name the quilt "The Hangover," you know, for that spinning feeling you get right before you vomit...with all those twirling colors I was seriously doubting how this thing would not come out looking like a dog's breakfast. Thank goodness for white sashing, that tempered it quite a bit! So after another marathon of cut/sew/press etc to add the sashing, I finally had a quilt top! And...I liked it {phew!}.

I had promised myself, this time, to do a SIMPLE BACK. If you click on the icons on the left sidebar of my blog and peruse my finished quilts from this year and last, you will see that I tend to make "reversible" quilts, with the backs more intricate and often preferred to the fronts! Anyways, I did tone it down a bit but couldn't resist adding a couple really special features to this quilt back.
All the details have meaning. First off- a strip of orange, my daughter's favorite color. Within the strip, I added some "raindrop" blocks- four, in honor of her fourth birthday. I used the final raindrop as a label, and included this special message:
Happy 4th birthday, L-! I wish you a life full of sunshine, but if a little rain should fall, I will always be your umbrella. All my love always, Mom (date, place).

In one of the blocks I included and image of her kitty, which is her very special stuffed toy she has had since a baby (more on that here), floating off with an umbrella. I have to say the kitty thing really did not go well. I had the bright idea to print using my printer directly on the fabric...thought it would work as it was permanent ink, and even sent a sample through the wash to test it before piecing one into the quilt. Then, when all was said and done and I put the quilt through the wash...well, kitty's image basically faded away. Ugh! So, I used transfer paper to add the image to a scrap of white fabric and quickly hand stitched it on top, TERRIBLY, but will need to replace that at some point as well as I don't find those transfers to be super durable. Maybe will send something off to Spoonflower to try and fix? Not. Happy. I was really disappointed in this, as it was to be that special personal addition for my baby girl. At the moment, she adores it how it is and is none the wiser, but my mind continues to whirl about how to fix this little blip.

But, all that aside, the quilt has already been lovingly adopted by my daughter and, much like childbirth, memories of what hassles may have occurred during the process are already starting to fade, and I am eager to jump in and start a new one :-) I am actually also planning to make a pattern for this one and some of my other designs that I am often asked about- this is something I will work on over the coming months. I think this quilt would be fun in rainbow solids, don't you?

Here are some quilt stats for you:

Finished size: twin (84 inches by 64 inches)
Fabrics: Rainy Days and Mondays by Riley Blake, with some from my stash by Amy Butler, Urban Chicks, Barbara Jones, etc and solids from local quilt shop.
Design: by me
Quilting: stippling by me, by machine
Binding: Green dot from Rainy Days, attached by machine to front and hand stitched to back

68 comments:

felicity said...

Awesome!! Also, hilarious post as usual. Are you participating in Bloggers' Quilt Festival? Go for it!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Wow, Kristie, this turned out really beautifully, love it! Definitely worth the effort, looks like a lot of work. I love that fabric line, and love how your inspiration came from it. Well done :-)

Little Island Quilting said...

Oooooooh, almost one of the first to comment. This is lovely and I admire your dedication to a cause!

Unknown said...

Ooooh, I love it! You did such a great job. They really do look like they are floating around. Such great little details, too!

I may try to get one of my new quilts up for the Festival. Need to find the camera in all of this mess so I can upload the pics. ;)

Charity said...

Persistance pays off. The umbrella idea is cute.I think the label is the best part. It just pulls it all together.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I love how you keep it real, Kristie :) I think The Hangover would be a fantastic name for this quilt (at least as a secret name that you can call it). I love what you did with the backing, it looks gorgeous and unique, and I'm sure it makes it all the more special for your daughter! I love the umbrella effect of your blocks and I think a pattern is a fantastic idea!!

Amy Friend said...

You make me laugh. It's beautiful! I am glad you kept going and worked through all the bad times! It was worth it.

mybricole said...

For heavens sake's I laughed, I cried, I was reminded I need to make a date to see Hangover 2 with my girlfriends. This post has it all!
It's a beautiful quilt. You did an amazing job. I love the label and the kitty too! Great work!!

Kati said...

What a fun design! You did a great job on everything. Too bad about kitty. I hate it when something like that happens to a quilt. It's just so frustrating.

Cristin said...

Its really lovely, and you could totally sell that pattern on Etsy! LOVE how special it is for your daughter... my little guy just turned 1 and I look forward to when he actually understands that I made a quilt for him, and will maybe even appreciate it :-)

Angela Flicker said...

Oh, what an amazing quilt with a sweet inspiration! I love the message you put on the back. I think this quilt will be cherished for a very long time!

Also, I wanted to say that I love the name of your blog! Awesome!

Bree said...

I LOVE IT!!! You know I've been waiting to see this finished since you first share the fabric you were going to use, and I think you did an absolutely wonderful job. I don't think it looks like a "hangover" at all. It's beautiful! And you used my favorite fabric from the line for the back, along with my favorite color as well! I'm sure your daughter will cherish this for many years to come.

Sara said...

The green binding completes this quilt, sorry about the kitty, but as you said I am sure she won't even care right! TY for showing it off!

Bec said...

Ahahahahaha i LOVE it!!..Oh Kristie.. It turned out soo awesome!! I was wondering how you were going to do the umbrellas! xx Perfect Quilt For BQF!! xx

Janet said...

This definitely looks like twirling umbrellas! So pretty. I bet you could leave the cat as is and it will be a precious piece of the whole.

Little Blue Mouse said...

What a gorgeous quilt, and I love the message on the label.

Kristen said...

I really like your random design! It's beautiful!

stitchinpenny said...

Love the label. What a wonderful gift for her fourth birthday.

Unknown said...

Oh mgosh! I just love this quilt!

Eileen said...

great quilt and fun story. sorry but i keep falling asleep--vicodin and motrin tend to do that to me--had three back teeth pulled wednesday--thought you'd appreciate that as a dentist--which now after my great experiences lately with a great one here in town i'm happy to say i'm not scared to death about anymore. love you quilt and a pattern for it would be great as i'd like to make a circly sort of one someday soon

Rosalyn Manesse said...

This is a reallly charming quilt, and an interesting take on the Dresden Plate pattern

Jolanda said...

So lovely! Your daughter is a lucky girl.

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

So great. What a special quilt. I love your message in the signature block and love the rain drops.

Allie said...

How perfectly wonderful - it looks exactly like twirling umbrellas! You nailed it! I love the back, and the label. Sorry about the kitty, maybe you could try a pigma pen? They don't wash out, I use them for signing my small quilts.

Mary said...

What a fantastic quilt! I really do love it and I'm glad you ended up calling it Singing In the Rain!

Alisa said...

It's beautiful! Nice to see your idea on paper come to fruition. Great work!

Lee said...

Oh, what a beautiful, special quilt! I love all the meaningful touches like the four raindrops, and the message on the label is so sweet. That's too bad about the kitty–I would definitely try Spoonflower.

Laurel H. said...

This is an amazing quilt! I've been perusing your blog, and you have a lot of wonderful quilts. I've become a follower!

Kelly @ Vintage Fabric Studio said...

adorable, worth every swear word!

Kelli said...

Awesome quilt mate!
Sounds like you had so much fun making it, I bet you can't wait to do another... Just...Like...It... :)

Saffron Craig fabrics said...

Such a great quilt. Funny story too. :)

Karen said...

Not only is the quilt design unique, you found creative unique ways to personalize it. Love your mindset!

Abby said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I keep stumbling across dentists in the quiltblog world and it's always fun to find another one! I graduate next Friday and I hope to be starting a part-time job before I have my first baby this September. Very exciting times! I've really enjoyed looking at all your beautiful quilts!

Karen said...

This is such a great fun quilt. I like how bright and cheerful it looks. Great design and fabric choices!

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a special quilt you've made for your daughter. It'll be a lifetime treasure for sure! The little kitty is so cute and your words on the label are so beautiful.

Riel Nason said...

It turned out great! Love the special touches you put in it!!!

Kate said...

What a fun quilt! Love all the ways you made it special for your daughter. My first on my own, no pattern quilt, was for my then 5 year old (she's 12 now). She still loves that quilt.

Miki Willa said...

I really like the way this quilt turned out. I am very impressed.

Elena said...

Very pretty! You're so brave to do so many circular bits!

baukje said...

No wonder she loves it, it's so cheeerfull. Love the idea of these colorful umbrellas.

Martine Kuciel said...

superbe,félicitations

Debbie said...

I enjoyed my visit to your blog...lovely quilt.

Marika said...

Very beautiful cheerful darling, Quilt work

sewhappiness said...

Thank you for a good laugh:) Your quilt is amazing!!! I love the fabrics you chose, and your design! What a thoughtful gift for your daughter:) She will cherish it, I'm sure:)

Sarcastic Quilter said...

So cute!

Melinda said...

My children are not allowed in the basement while I'm working on my current quilt! I can't be held responsible for any reaction I may have to my mistakes! Lovely quilt!

ladybugquilting said...

It was so worth it!!!!
Can you make me one?!? :)

Shay said...

Ok I am completely in love with this gorgeous quilt. The idea of umbrella tops is just adorable.

You tell a wonderful story ...I have quilts named *&^%^& and (*!#$% during construction too!

Simply Sandy said...

What a lucky little girl! Love the design and your story telling is what kept me involved! Love your blog!

Claudia said...

Gorgeous quilt! I love those umbrella shapes. I enjoyed reading about how this quilt was made.

Kit Lang said...

Lovely quilt - great photographs!

Manda said...

This is brilliant! I love the twirling umberellas. And I really like you you've personalised it for your daughter!

grendelskin said...

It's a gift of love. Sometimes the ones that make me cuss the most are the ones I love most when they're finally finished. And your "simple" back is pretty snazzy!

Marci Girl said...

Beautiful quilt, and I love the backing! The story makes it all the more special!

Marg said...

Great post, I love the quilt, it is stunning, and the story behind it.

Pattilou said...

What a fun quilt and a fun story. This quilt will surely become a family heirloom.

Dana said...

beautiful quilt,its truely lovely. Im loving the bloggers quilt festival as iv found so many new blogs to follow thanks so much for the comment, looking forward to seeing more from you :-)

Carla said...

Too funny! I can totally relate to the Hang Over feeling. I love the quilt you made your daughter. I think it was worth all the headaches.

Jennifer said...

This quilt is amazing! What a special gift for your daughter... and I love the label!

Jennifer :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE the dancing umbrella tops! They are so cute!

Molly said...

Very cool quilt!

Sandra said...

Are they umbrellas or candies? Love the umbrellas cat applique, fun. A lovely quilt, thanks for sharing.
Come see my entries #211, repro cheddar orange stars and #215 antique 1850 applique flower garden

pinsandneedles said...

Great quilt! Love your original design!

**nicke... said...

pretty pretty pretty!

Rachel said...

Great quilt!! I love the name you settled on, it looks jsut like you're looking down on a field of umbrellas. :) Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!
Rachel
http://www.dewberrylane.com

shopgirl said...

that is spectacular. Nicely done.

Jen said...

Fantastic! SO glad you are going to do up a pattern for this!

Cheryl said...

beautiful sentiment, beautiful quilt