Friday, April 11, 2014

sewn: wet bags!

We have a few people in our lives who have had some babies recently or are expecting them soon.  I wanted some simple handmade gifts that would be practical, useful and not too labour-intensive for me to make!  I decided on wet bags- pretty zipped pouches lined with waterproof fabrics, perfect for toting those wet cloth diapers, soiled clothes, or even wet bathing suits.



We took the supplies out to the lake with us, and I was so excited to sew on my new/old table, a banged up antique drop leaf table I scored for $10.  Beautiful and sturdy ;)



The Middle Child wanted to be involved and so she helped choose coordinating fabrics and zippers.  She was so enthusiastic about helping with the sewing and pressing.  In her excitement, about 3 minutes in, she forgot that irons are hot and left it face down on the table......



Grr.  Good thing it was already "rustic."  Took a bit of scraping and four letter words to get the varnish off the iron, but soon enough we were back at it, and made a bounty of bags for the day.  I even pulled out some of my favourite and hoarded Heather Ross fabrics for the occasion! It felt good to USE them.



So here we have it!  I did some larger and some smaller sized bags.

For the girls:



Just love how the "just stay little" made it perfectly onto the handle :)




And for the boys:



The inner waterproof fabric:



Looking forward to gifting these and hope that they will be put to good use!


6 comments:

What Comes Next? said...

great gift bags - always useful!
Sounds like you've been having some good times this last little while.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I am guessing the mums will secretly use than as cosmetics bags; what do babies know?!

Svetlana said...

love your new sewing table. And those bags, what a great idea.

Katy Cameron said...

What Hadley said ;o)

I think middle child was really helping, now you have an excuse to sand the varnish off and paint it a funky colour :oD

Kate S. said...

I use the wetbags I made myself all. the. time. I am sure these will be loved! Cute fabrics to boot.

Anonymous said...

Those bags are so cute! I am seriously envious of your fabric stash. :)
--- Christy