Friday, July 1, 2011

A clutch for a gardener

When Amy saw my Denyse Schmidt clutches and asked if I wanted to do a swap, I knew this was my chance for get an awesome goodie from her- as if I could refuse! She made me a gorgeous "kidlet" using her very own adorable printed fabric. In return, I wanted to make a clutch just right for her. And, if you follow her blog you will know she is also quite the gardener. What is better than a flower?

I modified the big bloom tutorial by Keyka Lou to size for this bag. I used some of my Rowan shot cotton in pink for the flower, and a mustard colored button from my stash for the center.

Amy loves linen, so I knew this would be a great base for the bag. Inside, I used a big floral print from the Dream On line....I love it :-)

As the clutch is compact of course, I thought to incorporate a little pocket for stashing cash and a couple slots for credit cards and license, to eliminate the need for a wallet. Still room for a lipstick and cell phone, too. But, no, NOT a diaper bag, ladies!

I also chose a frame with loops for attaching a chain so it can be worn over the arm or body when wanting to keep the hands free.

Interfacing is always the bane of my existence, and I had some struggles getting it just right here. I wanted the bag to have lots of body, so I used a fairly stiff interfacing paired with some quilt batting for softness. When inverting the bag and attaching the frame, I had troubles with it bunching and wrinkling....had to take it apart a bit and trim it back to get it right. Not perfect, but much better.

I have packed this clutch with a few little treats and it now on its merry way to its new owner. Hope you enjoy it, Amy!

p.s. And to all my Canadian friends out there....Happy Canada Day!! Grab some Labatt's and and head 'er out to the lake, eh?

9 comments:

Little Island Quilting said...

Did I mention I'm a gardener ;-)

Little Island Quilting said...

PS Well done for winning on Chasing Cottons blog.

Lynette said...

Wow! This clutch is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

Katie B said...

So sweet! I love the pink shot cotton for the flower!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

wow, this one is amazing!! After your last post about these little clutches, I ordered some frames....they are still somewhere in Canada Post backlog I think!!

Amy Friend said...

I forgot this was on its way! I can hardly wait! Thanks for reminding me and now torturing me :)

Shay said...

Ok that's sweetness personified and I'm sure it'll be completely adored. You are bag making genius!

Lindsay@fortheloveofcotton said...

Just had to let you know that I am so jealous of you!!! You have won at least two giveaways in the last two days. Way to go :)

felicity said...

Fab!!