Friday, September 10, 2010

Back to school (Thank God)

Am I the only mom who was eagerly awaiting this moment? I love my kids, and we had a great summer together and all, but I have been longing for just a wee bit of time for ME..... This is a big year at our house- my baby is in preschool. That means I have TWO HOURS, two mornings a week to myself. That feels like Christmas. What will I do with all that time? As I look around me, I should probably pencil in some house cleaning, and maybe organize a closest or two (or all) before all those carefully packed items fall out and give someone a concussion. But for now, I am going to have me a cup of tea, put my feet up, and blog away....ahhhh!

But yet....I would be remiss if I didn't admit that I do feel a little pang, you know that place, deep in the chest cavity of moms, seeing their little ones walk off into the unknown. But I won't dwell on that. A cookie with my tea will help- chocolate therapy.

Last But Not Least, my 3 year old, was the first to start. Her first day was Tuesday. She has been begging to go to school like her siblings for the last year.
Despite the chilly weather marking the onset of fall here, she insisted she must wear a sleeveless dress with pockets for her first day. Far be it from me to argue with that sassy little thing unless necessary (pick your battles, right?), so away she went. My most outgoing, she still clung a bit to me, though no tears. Afterwards, she chatted about all her new friends, then dug a notebook and pencil from the drawer and declared, "Well Mom, I am in school now, so I better do some homework" and proceeded to scribble away. Be still my heart!

Wednesday, it was time for my oldest, age 6, to start his first day of Grade 1. Full days! And it seems like only yesterday..... He is my most resistant to change, shy as can be, but he handled it so well- so proud of my boy.
Thursday, it was The Middle Child's turn. Kindergarten! She basically ran in the door, with a "Bye, Mom!" wave over her shoulder, leaving me with a tear in my eye.
So here I am, enjoying a rare moment of piece and quiet... I am such a lucky lady, in so many ways!

4 comments:

Tawny said...

Aww! Enjoy the silence :) I just dropped my little guy off at pre-school for the first time this week and I was a mess. At least I have one baby at home with me to keep me company until I get adjusted.

Terrific first day of school outfits as well! :D

LakshmiRP said...

I completely understand how it feels. Don't mistake me , i absolutely love my DD. But i also love my solitude once in a while. I really look forward to those back to school moments especially after summer holidays. Here in India, schools reopen during June so i lived through that moment a while back....

Grandpa said...

Its life’s little reward for nurturing them through the summer hiatus. God bless the teachers! They have saved many a parent. They look adorable.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I remember feeling the same when mine went back after the summer ( and here in UK we only have six weeks of summer hols) but now I'm in a whole new situation . . . My oldest is off to university next week end. Only two hours away, but we are both getting a bit wobbly!