Sunday, April 1, 2012

hanging in Grand Forks, ND

It was Spring Break this past week, so we packed up the family for a few days and took a run for the border to Winnipeg's American cousin, Grand Forks, North Dakota. Just a 2 hour drive south, it is a favorite destination for a quick Stateside visit with a little shopping.

Now it may not look like much:

(view from our hotel window)

But don't let it fool you! Those North Dakotans know how to party! Check it out- they used to have elephant parades in the streets. Elephants!

Anyways, the main attraction there for my family is the CanadInns Waterslide park.

The main attraction for me, of course, is JoAnn's. Was so excited when all the things I wanted, i.e. Olfa cutter, blades, and DS Quilts fabric, yarn, were on SALE, plus I had a coupon to make it a sale on top of a sale....made for a very happy Mommy.



The fact that I took more photos in JoAnn's than I did of my kids that weekend proves I am a quilter through and through.

That and the fact that all of the carpets in the hotel made me think of quilt designs......



Had a nice mini-break, though every time we go there my family manages to defile the place....one pool puke incident, one restaurant puking, a bed wetting, another pee incident. Seriously, kids! Keep your body fluids to yourself! You may wanna avoid room 906 if you are going there.

Also learned that my daughters seem to think they have testicles. Made loud jokes throughout the weekend about how this or that "hurt their nuggets" while cupping their hands over their nether-regions. What the....???? Such little ladies. Never a dull moment.

Back to routine and reality this week!

14 comments:

Shay said...

You have kids- you get bodily secretions. It comes with the territory my friend.

My grandson keeps telling me Im a boy because apparently I have something extra in my nether regions (according to him ) Im off to check for nuggets....

ann said...

Maybe it's a Canadian thing? My girls did the whole testicle thing too. (I thought we were the polite country though, so maybe not a Cdn thing) My border jump is to Buffalo but I haven't been in forever. My SIL is my compadre in crime and she and my bro went to Germany so she doesn't feel she can spend more money...damn her conscience. I may have to find another willing accomplice to cross the Niagara gorge with as those deals look too good to pass up. Oh yeah, there is that teaching job too.

Anonymous said...

I love the photo of the little one making the shocked face underneath the elephant parade. That's priceless. It looks like you had a fantastic time. The water park looks awesome! I hope you enjoy your crafty finds this week. :)

Tiara said...

Glad you had a great trip. Heading to Joann's today myself. The nugget jokes arecracking me up

liniecat said...

Well the post title made me immediately think of old western movies.......'hanging in grand forks'?...but thankfully there was no noose and public hanging...phew!
lol so funny about the puking and peeing though, if abit disturbing to think there may be generations of canadian kids growing up with such confused sexual understandings.....
made me smile must admit though lol

Katie B said...

Haha...some classy kids you have there! We went to a resort with an indoor water park for spring break too. Seriously, best idea ever!

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

I love your little family, they are SO cute! JoAnn's sale was wonderful this week, including Kona Cotton 40% off! Let me know if I can ever pick something up for you :) I'd love to!

Little Island Quilting said...

I got told I couldn't use my sale coupon on top of items that were already on sale so you did better than me!

Debbie said...

im so glad that I am not the only one who takes pictures of things that might make a cool quilt...

This weekend I was at an arena for the hurricanes vs. the devils and took a picture of the bathroom floor because i could make a quilt of it :)

Chez Roo said...

Ha ha! That was definitely a LOL post. Will stay away from room 906, but my kids have definitely left their marks in hotel and motel rooms across the continent, unfortunately I didn't keep track in order to issue a travelers alert :)

I wish I had someone to go border shopping with, my nearest town is Bellingham WA. My husband would not be into a trip to JoAnns however. Hilarious that you got more photos of JoAnns than the kids. That happens to me too.

LeslieG said...

Not to be an enabler - however - there are two fabulous quilting stores near to GF. One Quilter's Eden in East GF, just down from Whitey's across from Cabelas, and then a delightful little quilt store 20mins away in Crookston - It's Sew Broadway (has a rewards program!). I've taken a few friends to both and our mutual friend Rebecca could be the next shopper!

Happy quilting!

Sarah said...

That's hilarious - your girls comments! And with all that puking and pee it sounds like a college spring break!!

Little Blue Mouse said...

Ha ha I've loved this post! From the shocked face, to the puking and peeing through to the nuggets.