Sunday, April 29, 2012

pantry makeover

There are basically 2 things I never want to publicly share:

1. how much I weigh, and
2. the disorganized state of my pantry.

What can I say? I am far from a neat freak. But even a laid back person has their limits. And although I had a million other things to do this past week, I decided I had HAD ENOUGH of my disorganized pantry and it was time to do some organizing.

Now I must start by saying, our pantry is HUGE. When we bought and renovated our home 4 years ago, it was actually a large laundry room. We moved a wall over to make the kitchen bigger, and converted the space into a walk-in pantry. Sure, we installed some built-in shelves. The thing is...being so big, we would dump all of our crap in there. "Lots of room!" But, we never had a system of where things would BELONG. Things went in and never found their way out again. In the last months, I would cram something on a shelf and then run for my life, fearing it would all topple down on top of me!

So, I started looking up pantry organization on Pinterest, and found a great blog post about a pantry makeover using bins from Dollarama, the most awesome dollar store we have in Canada. Because, bins and baskets are EXPENSIVE, and with the size of our pantry I knew I would need a ton. So, off I went to Dollarama, and then to Staples to get me some Martha Stewart home office labels. And here is the result!

Let's ease you in. First off: my little tea cabinet. This is where I start my day, making myself a cup of tea. Should be relaxing, right?





I did something similar for the coffee maker/toaster area (didn't do a before pic, but trust me, it was nasty):


Next up: the pantry. Don't judge me.


















Ahhhhh.

Each of the bins you see were only $1.50 or $2 a piece, and the glass jars with the stainless steel lids ranged from $1-$2, depending on size. The Martha Stewart labels were $3 for 18, and I got two of her magazine holders for my recipe magazines, for $10 each. I bought a couple large blue bins for paper towels and other bulky items for $7 each at Walmart. And I reused a few baskets and containers from around the house. I think the grand total came in at about $140. Very reasonable.

Now, it is not magazine-worthy. We LIVE there, after all. I have an old ugly crockpot that still makes a mean chili and other bulky things that are not white and wonderful and that are in bulky boxes that I need to keep. But, much improved! And I feel a million times better every time I walk into that room (and why is that about a hundred times per day?? Maybe linked to my I-don't-want-to-share-my-weight issue??? LOL!).

Now I am on a roll, people! I vow that I will slowly conquer the rest of the closets and crannies. My husband wonders what the heck came over me, and my kids, honestly, are a bit scared of their mama. But no matter. I am on a mission!

What have you been organizing lately?

26 comments:

Tiara said...

What a dramatic makeover. I'd say that you deserve some new fabric after all of that hardwork :)

Isisjem said...

Wow it looks fab!

Millie and Walter said...

I'm not judging you for your before look, I'm just jealous of the size of your pantry :-)

Cindy

Ellen said...

It is a thing of beauty! How long did it take? I need to tackle my pantry cabinet & the two hall closets. You've inspired me to take stock and then head to a dollar store!

Ginette said...

Very inspiring! I love those bins from Dollarama... they are my favorite! I am in need of doing some serious spring cleaning and organizing around here too... I think I am going to start with our bedroom and the walk-in closet!

felicity said...

Thank you for sharing the "before"! It looks way better and I bet it's easier to find stuff etc.

We're working on organizing my daughter's crap. There's a lot of it.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Great Job!! I love all the baskets and bins. It sure makes everything look so much more tidy! Are you for hire????

Katie B said...

Um...a person could LIVE in your pantry! Don't be surprised to find me holed up in there, huddled in the corner with a box of triscuits. Seriously impressive.

ann said...

OK so since you're revealing all....how much do you weigh?? Ha just kidding. Buuuuut I am only a province over from you, I too have a hideous pantry however I have no mission, I have 4 teenagers, do you make housecalls?????

linda said...

i think your pantry is bigger than my kitchen !!!................looks great !

Shay said...

It looks fabulous. I am one of those neat freak everything had a place people and even my pantry doesn't look as wonderful as yours.

And yes- your pantry is about 6 times the size of mine.

Cathy said...

standing ovation!

Leila said...

Beautiful! And I have seen way worse pantries and closets - don't ask me where. ;)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

it looks awesome! nice work miss Kristie... that's a pretty sweet pantry. :)

Ali said...

Looks so good! I wish I had a pantry that large.

Alisa said...

It looks spectacular! Way to go - it'll be much more fun getting a snack now. :-)

MariQuilts said...

Wow...that is one awesome pantry. You did a fabulous job.

Little Blue Mouse said...

I AM impressed!

Unknown said...

Great Job!!! You have inspired me to tackle our pantry this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

oooohhhhh, we're long overdue for a visit I don't live far away, come do mine when you're done! Not to mention there's lots of wine at my house :)
As for hubby, can't imagine much surprises him by now (and no, I won't mention how many years it's been as people might deduce our age! ;) Di

Jennifer said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing the before AND after... makes me feel much more normal. Nice work!

Jennifer :)

robin said...

I am seriously coveting your pantry. It looks fabulous with all the organizing you've done! I really need more storage space.

bethanndodd said...

FAB~U~LOUS!! Smiles~Beth

Jacey said...

Such improvement! With my new husband(!) moving in, we've been organizing and de-cluttering (ahem, mostly my clutter) like crazy. We will continue to do so, although my craft room will forever be disheveled. Mark my words.

Poppyprint said...

KILLER PANTRY!!! I would have gladly taken the before, but I'd literally maim to get the after. Well done!!! I can imagine how utterly satisfying that must feel. We need to tackle our basement crawl space for all the same reasons. And if you ever need to get your weight off your chest (and I'm talking metaphorically here, not a breast reduction), you can always email me. I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours and we can both own it.

Kim said...

Impressed! I on the other hand have organised nothing - unless I can count throwing away all my socks with holes and treating myself to some new pairs? And I have been off work this week, I have no excuse.