Monday, March 11, 2013

yoga bag of Awesome

I don't mean to brag, BUT.... I made something Awesome.

There is a story behind it, naturally.

I decided to give yoga a try.  I am getting older and all, and figured it would be good to stretch my bones.  I opted for the popular Moksha Hot Yoga studio.  Any workout that has you in a sauna-like room in the dead of frosty winter and includes mat time to lie down and relax is A-okay with me!

Part of the whole yoga practice is to clear your mind.  Well, all through my first hour of class, all that was rattling around in there was: "Hey, don't I have a scrap of that Heather Ross munki munki yoga fabric somewhere?"  From there it was end of story.  As IF I could focus.  All I could do was design a yoga bag in my head. I NEEDED one.

So, the score goes something like this:

5 hours of yoga classes (to date)
15 hours of yoga bag making

Okay.  I might have a problem.  Fortunately, this problem often results in pretty things :)  And this groovy new bag ensures that I will be attending yoga classes for some time!


So about that bag.  Boy, did I have fun with the details of this.  I paired some Essex yarn dyed linen in black with the Heather Ross munki munki and an assortment of my favorite purple fabrics.  The outside of the bag features a zippered patchwork pocket on the front, just the perfect size for my keys, phone and money.  I hand-stamped the word "breathe" on one of the squares and added some hand stitching.




Above the pocket, I added a fussy cut of a you girl thinking of a martini :)


I also used accent fabrics for a side pocket, with a second fussy cut of a yoga girl thinking of pretty shoes.  Those girls make me smile!  The side pocket is pleated and has an elastic at the top to allow room for an extra large water bottle.


The front and back panels of the bag extend to cradle my mat, which is secured on top with an adjustable strap.



And if I don't need my mat, there is a hidden pocket in the lining that I can retract the strap into!  I am crushing on the funky black and purple zippers I found for 70% off (!!) at my local Fabricland.


For the straps I used some natural webbing, with an accent strip of Essex down the centre.  The perfect length for slinging over the shoulder.  On the back of the bag, I included a horizontal strap perfect for slipping over the handle of a rolling suitcase, as I think this bag would make the perfect sized travel carry on!


Inside, I lined the majority of the bag with a washable waterproof fabric, perfect for those damp towels!  There is a large dry pocket as well, lined with some Denyse Schmidt Hope Valley, that includes a second zippered pocket.  The interior of this bag has plenty of space for my workout clothes, a shower towel, a large mat towel, a bag of toiletries, shower flip flops and sneakers.  Yup, she's big!


So that is the story of my new shiny yoga bag.  And I am so proud of her, I decided to enter her in a couple competitions :)




47 comments:

Unknown said...

This bag is really fabulous, Kristie. :) I hope you get in!

trudys_person said...

OK that is really awesome! I love all the thoughtful details, especially the Munki Munki!

Stine said...

I am in LOVE...with YOUR bag!! I NEED one too! You should sell a pattern for this.

Amanda said...

This bag is really something. Love the colours, love the functionality and love love love the embellishment details. It came together perfectly. 3-D sewing projects scare me. Love that you maxed such an awesome bag without a pattern.

Amanda said...

This bag is really something. Love the colours, love the functionality and love love love the embellishment details. It came together perfectly. 3-D sewing projects scare me. Love that you maxed such an awesome bag without a pattern.

Amanda said...

This bag is really something. Love the colours, love the functionality and love love love the embellishment details. It came together perfectly. 3-D sewing projects scare me. Love that you maxed such an awesome bag without a pattern.

Amanda said...

This bag is really something. Love the colours, love the functionality and love love love the embellishment details. It came together perfectly. 3-D sewing projects scare me. Love that you maxed such an awesome bag without a pattern.

Amanda said...

This bag is really something. Love the colours, love the functionality and love love love the embellishment details. It came together perfectly. 3-D sewing projects scare me. Love that you maxed such an awesome bag without a pattern.

Ali said...

If I start going to yoga agin will you make me one?? ;)

Jo Ann said...

You should write a pattern for the bag! So cool!

Angela said...

I love your title for this post btw. it's just what I needed. I miss your general awesomeness!

Kirsten said...

Fabulous bag - love all of the details!

Leila said...

Holy Mole-y that bag is Amazing! What great details and design. I would yoga if I could have that bag. :) Love the 5 hours yoga-ing 15 hours sewing! :)

felicity said...

It is, indeed made of Awesome. WOW! WOWOWOWOWOW! Way to go, lady!

Little Island Quilting said...

Amanda seems to like it ;-)

Unknown said...

Nicely done! My enthusiasm for an activity is always improved by making something cool for it. And that is a very cool bag.

laura said...

Oh my god!! What a terrific yoga bag!!!

Anna said...

holy bag! that is the most lovely! beautiful details everywhere! those purple zip kill me!

MOMENTS Designs said...

You should be proud...its a great bag !!!
You did a fabulous job!!
Is it your own design or a pattern ( I have friend that does Yoga and this would be a great birthday present)

katie@stvital said...

Fantastic! I love all the detail you added to the bag:)

Svetlana said...

wow!!!! Seriously, this is one amazing bag. You thought of everything, love all the fun and funky details. Those yoga girls are fantastic.

Future Quilter said...

Great work! I agree with the others...sell the pattern! Because frankly all your sewing time will be have to be devoted to making one for the rest of us if you don't ;)

Anonymous said...

That is a kick ass yoga bag! Good luck with auditions for sew-vivor, I think you got it in the bag... couldn't resist being cheesy! ;0)

Kelsey said...

Oh Kristie I luurrrrv it! I've been thinking of making myself a yoga bag as well, but am still debating on size. Did you use a tutorial for this pretty or did you make it up as you went along? Either way great job!

Holly said...

Awesomesauce! What a fantastic bag, Kristie! Trust you to add all the perfect details needed to make the best yoga bag ever!

LindseyAnne said...

Wow, that is awesome. You've packed so much into the design. I love it. Almost makes me want to take up yoga:)

LindseyAnne said...

Wow, that is awesome. You've packed so much into the design. I love it. Almost makes me want to take up yoga:)

Katie B said...

This is crazy awesome! I love your design, fancy pants. Seriously excellent bag. And I think I need to take up yoga so I have an excuse to make one of my own!!

Poppyprint said...

CRazy amazing! I LOVE this bag. You are a genius. Retractable strap into secret pocket. Hello details! I'll totally be voting for your kick-ass bag. Happy Shavasana baby.

Jody said...

This bag is awesome and different than most. Do you have a pattern I can buy? I would love to make this for myself!!! And I agree- those zippers are awesome - I also have a few in my hoarding stash!

Shay said...

Completely awesome! Love all the details.

You look pretty fabulous too standing there modelling in your yoga gear.

Allie said...

VERY nice!! Love this. Found you through pinterest. You definitely needed to submit it! Love!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Fantastic - you deserve a lie down!! xx

mcpn said...

I would totally love to make this bag. A pattern would be fabulous, but even dimensions would be enough! Loved finding your blog today and looking forward to future posts.

alidiza said...

That is awesome!!! I love the yoga girls and all the extra details... fabulous:-)

Tracey Jacobsen said...

it's such an amazing bag! I am IMPRESSED!!
And you're looking so svelte too my dear...

Little Blue Mouse said...

That's some bag! I love all the features on it.

Cassie said...

Holy amazing bag batman!! Now that I need one, do you have any tips or measurements or anything that you could impart? That would make yoga even more fun!

nest full of eggs said...

congrats on becoming a sew-vivor contestant ~ I look forward to seeing what you sew!

Susie said...

Oh, this is FAB....love all the practical (and pretty) details! Susie x

Kimberly said...

Your bag is gorgeous. I echo the other commenters, I would love to buy a pattern for this! I don't suppose you took measurements and pictures as you went...

Elle said...

Awesome Is right! That is just fabulous! I had some bright yoga fabric that I always planned to make a bag for myself with for going to Pilates, and then my gym stopped offering the class! :(. Anyway, I'm totally inspired - that is the best looking bag I've ever seen, and I'm glad you made the finals!

Chic Crafter said...

Very nice bag project and very useful for a woman on the go.

www.craftmenot.blogspot.com

Donna @ Snowbound said...

Is there a pattern for this bag? I love it!

Ty said...

This is a great bag. I would love to make this bag for a friend. Do you have a pattern for it? Where can I buy it?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Salve volevo sapere se era possibile acquistare il tutorial per questa borsa se è disponibile? O acquistare la borsa 😅? Grazie cordiali saluti Alice