Monday, February 11, 2013

not my normal style....

I am a firm believer that if you are making a quilt as a gift, you need to make it to suit the recipient's style, not just make what YOU like and then pass it off on them.  I try to really consider the person's tastes, style and color presences....really, who wants to do all the work and have a "meh" reaction?

So, when it came time to make a quilt for my mother-in-law, I followed the same principles.  She is an amazing woman, not to mention a very talented crafter herself, who can sew, knit, crochet and has now taken up some quilting!  She celebrated her 60th birthday this week, so I decided a quilt was in order.


Being more of a traditional type of lady, I opted to try a log cabin pattern, from a jelly roll quilt book (can't recall which one at the moment).  I loved the inclusion of the little stars at the junctions between blocks!  The fabric choices is where I really left my comfort zone.  My in-laws' home has a lot of browns and earthy tones, not colors I gravitate to normally.   My MIL loved the colors....to be honest, not my favorites.  But, it's not for me!  Make for the recipient, right??


The back is just a taupe sheet, which is very calming as the top is quite bright.  For quilting, I did swirls again, like on my retro Christmas quilt...might be my new favorite?



The quilt has been gifted and was appreciated :) On to the next project!

15 comments:

Samantha said...

The darker colours really make the stars pop, they look fabulous! xx

Karen said...

I love the stars on the intersections, and the fabric colours wouldn't have been my choice either but it's turned out lovely :o)

Shay said...

It looks wonderful and is a perfect fall quilt. I can see why she was thrilled.

I must admit I struggle to make things in colours I wouldn't use for myself .

Svetlana said...

what a fun idea to incorporate stars in with the log cabins! And I so totally agree, you definitely have to make a quilt with the person's taste in mind. You did great!!!!

Little Island Quilting said...

Interesting and I agree. Although to be fair I wouldn't even attempt something for my m-i-l in the first place ;-)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Well done you - you did a brave thing!

Lynne said...

Absolutely! The recipient must always be the focus of our colour and style choices (I'm talking knitting here as well as quilting)! Good on you. I'm so glad it was appreciated! It's a very striking quilt.

Katie B said...

You are the best kind of daughter-in-law.

alidiza said...

This came out lovely and is sure to be well loved:-)

felicity said...

Well done, you!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

I'm telling you -- daughter-in-law points! It looks good, especially in the snow!

Sarah said...

Yep, I'm with you. Make it to the recipients tastes. It's a really effective pattern and I am not into autumnal colours either, but they do look great together and in this design. Big DIL points for you!

katie@stvital said...

The stars are a great accent in the traditional quilt! Nice choice:)

Wendy said...

it's so clever the way the stars jump out. I love your quilting!

Tawny said...

Squeee! This one is totally my style too. Orange is my favourite colour and I love autumn colours. So beautiful. You know, so if we ever meet and you felt compelled to gift me with a quilt... hehehe just sayin! :D