Wednesday, April 8, 2015

a baby quilt for Koyuki

Koyuki is a baby girl, born to a longtime Japanese friend. A few years ago, my friend and her family visited us in the summer, and I gifted her a quilt.  She received it with more joy, wonder and gratitude than I have ever received- it filled my heart.  So of course when she had another baby girl in December, I knew a quilt would be the perfect gift.




I really went to town with the pink.  I love it- so soft and soothing.  I did a bit of an I-spy combined with a scrappy wonky star, using the centers as a showcase for fun novelty fabrics (including munki sushi!).



On the back I used one of my favourite prints ever, by Megumi Sakakibara.  Going through a bit of hoarder's separation anxiety about this but it is just too perfect a compliment to the top to doubt.



As my arms are still not very strong and pulling even a small quilt sandwich around to machine quilt was uncomfortable, I hand quilted it with Perle cotton.  I love how it adds to the softness.  Just one pass around each star and centre square, and one line dividing each block.  I did a triple row around the outer sashing.  Pretty.  The binding is a print by Anna Griffith, hand bound.



This will be winging its way to Japan shortly along with this ruffled (and wrinkled!) onsie that I just adore.  Oh, babies!



10 comments:

Marla said...

Very sweet!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Such a perfect quilt to be gifted to your friend. I would think that sewing is helping your hands recover quicker.

Will Cook for Shoes said...

So beautiful!

Krista Withers said...

Wow Kristie! It is SO beautiful, I love the hand stitching and I LOVE the back. I have to be honest I am also feeling a bit of hoarding anxiety about you using it...... love.

alidiza said...

So beautiful!!! I love all the pinks with that grey pin dot. What a lucky baby! So glad you're on the end... two broken arms really has to slow down your sewing:-)

Michele said...

Oh it is so sweet and I'm sure she loves it.

manar said...

العناية
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض فى الفجيرة
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش فى الفجيرة

Unkonwn said...

تتنوع شركات تصنيع العبوات البلاستيكية من حيث الحجم والتخصص، حيث توجد شركات صغيرة ومتوسطة وكبيرة، وتختلف في المجالات التي تختص بها، مثل تصنيع عبوات المشروبات الغازية والعصائر والمياه المعدنية، وعبوات الصابون والشامبو والمنظفات. ومن بين الشركات الرائدة في مصر في هذا المجال هي شركة بلاستيك هوم، التي تمتلك خبرة واسعة في تصنيع العبوات البلاستيكية لمختلف الأغراض والصناعات.

Mobile app development company said...

Informative article. Thanks for sharing. I would like to share information about appconsultio . In a world where mobile apps dominate digital interactions, partnering with our top mobile app development company means harnessing the power of technology to stand out in the competitive landscape. We don't just develop apps; we create solutions that inspire, engage, and deliver exceptional value to both you and your users.

Michael White said...

Such lovely and thoughtful presents! I appreciate the ig giveaway.







Pay Someone To Take My Online Course For Me