Thursday, January 20, 2011

Oops! I did it again.....

I don't mean to brag, but I have many, many talents.

Somehow, I managed to break my cell phone. Well, I dropped it onto some cement, actually, and that did the trick. When I took it into the shop the lady said, "You broke THAT one? It's so tough we call it the bulletproof phone...."

See. Many talents. You may recall that I used the same talent on my camera, not too long ago, resulting in a lovely new Amy Butler Camera Case for added protection for its successor. So, when I got my brand new fancy pink cell- the best on the market for $0 and the cheapest monthly phone plan available- I figured that it, too, should get some extra lovin'. Plus, I bought the warranty :-)
I finally cut into a wee bit of the Heather Ross Far Far Away 2 that I am hoarding. Love these grey roses! The outside also sports a padded flap of one of my favorite Nicey Jane prints, and a happy yellow button :-) But the button is just eye candy... there are velcro tabs to close 'er up.
Inside, I used some scraps of some aqua minky..so, so soft. There is also some batting in there- yup, this phone should stay secure! Some little quilted lines on the flap:
The best part of making this cell phone cover is that I did it with my longtime best friend, Michele. She and I have instated a weekly craft night. She is a knitter, so tonight it was my turn to teach her the ropes sewing. This was a great small project for just that. She did a great job! Next meeting, she is teaching me how to knit my first hat to go with this scarf! Wish me luck!

Finished this up as part of the One Thing, One Week Challenge at Amy's Creative Side.

10 comments:

Rosa said...

Beautiful job! Fingers crossed it does the trick and protects it :)

Bree said...

This turned out really cute! It's just too bad you *needed* to make one rather than just wanting to. I hope it does its job & keeps your new phone safe!

Katie B said...

This is adorable! My husband bought me a new phone last week, and I just know I'm going to break it! I need to make a case like this.

Unknown said...

My husband requires that I have phone insurance. I lost my blackberry a few years ago (I think it was on top of my car and I drove off, some farmer probably found a pink blackberry in his field, LOL!).
Then just last fall I got a droid with a touch screen. Dropped it the first week I had it and shattered the screen. I sucked it up and bought the plastic shell thing. I had no idea touch screens were so sensitive!

And I think it's super cute that you have a basic phone. I tried to get something cheaper last time around, but I claim that I *need* google maps b/c I get lost so easily. :P

Love the case! Makes me want a new one!

Sandy said...

I really need to make this case... any chance of a tutorial???

Little Island Quilting said...

53?

Little Blue Mouse said...

Lovely case - your phone should have plenty of protection snuggled inside there!

Anna said...

awesome! I too am horrible with phones, I've killed many. and awesome on the craft swapping nights, I want to start something like that with my local friends!

bethanndodd said...

LOVE it! I really should make one too, I drop my phone ALL the time! I am so jealous you are learning to knit...one day i will learn too! Have fun creating!

Suzanne said...

Such cute protection for your new phone.