Friday, August 31, 2012

A quilt and sweater for Baby Kiera

Seeing as Last But Not Least snapped up the vajayjay quilt, I had to whip up a new one on the double for Baby Kiera!


Like the other, this quilt used the grey, yellow and pink colour scheme, to match Kiera's nursery. I love how the two quilts look so entirely different! I have to say this is one of my favourites. I loved every minute of making it, I completely improvised as I went, adding bits here and there. I started with the wonky log cabins, and as Kiera's mom likes strip quilts, I added a couple other different block styles in strips. My kids especially loved the strip of "ruler" fabric along the top, saying that would be perfect to help Kiera's mom measure her as she grows!



I quilted it with an all over loopy pattern, my first time trying this, and I honestly kinda sucked at it. But overall I still think it looks fine, and I love the crinkly effect. I used some Aurafil variegated yellow/white thread, another first, and liked the product. But I am just as happy with the performance of my Connecting Threads thread, which is much less expensive!


On the back I used a large piece of my new absolute favourite fabric by Heather Ross, the pin people, that my friend Angela was kind enough to pick up and send to me when it went on sale at Hancock's (I think??). I absolutely love the light grey colour with the pink and orange and lime accents, it is the perfect backing for this quilt, and I think I need to plan an entire other quilt around this fabric. Lovity love it!


On the back I included a label that I made using printer friendly fabric, and made it in the wonky log cabin style that I had on the front.


This quilt was a bit big for a baby quilt, about 40 by 50 inches. It will be good for Kiera to snuggle up with for some time, I hope!


Along with the quilt, I knit up a sweet little coat using the Baby Tiered Coat pattern by Lisa Chemery on Ravelry (see details on my Ravelry page here). Such a cute pattern! I made it in a nice neutral grey, using a Wool Ease worsted weight yarn held double for thickness, and added some cute yellow buttons as an accent.



Inside I added a label by Izzy and Ivy Designs that we got in our grab bags at Sewing Summit last fall. They are a great product with some really cute styles! I may just order some more of these.


The two were gifted at a nice casual baby shower the other day at my home, and seem to be well loved.




Welcome to the world, Kiera!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt and sweater! What a lucky and blessed baby! Oh and what a great name too!! From one Kiera to another!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love it!

Little Island Quilting said...

What a lovely friend you are! Oh...and I agree with your comment about Aurifil.

Svetlana said...

totally adorable, both the quilt and the teeny tiny sweater are so, so cute!

Lynne said...

That is a lovely quilt. I really like your original design. Nice little jacket too.

Tiara said...

What a lucky little girl!

Katie B said...

Yeah, so I'm kind of jealous of Kiera. Some babies have all the luck.

LOVE the quilt. The sweater is adorable. you rock.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

lucky baby Kiera!! The quilt is beautiful...I like this one better!!
And the little sweater is so cute! You are so talented!!

bethanndodd said...

Oh my, that quilt makes me smile! Love the colors and all the different strip block styles. The log cabins are my fav! And that adorable itty bitty sweater...total cuteness! Gifts to be treasured for a long time, no doubt. Smiles~Beth
Oh, I think you did a great job on the quilting...looks so cuddly :)

Marian-Lady Face said...

Holy smokes that's adorable!!! Love the colors you used, so pretty! And the sweater is precious. Lucky lady!

Jennifer said...

It's just adorable! And I love your quilting... look at you go on your Juki!

Jennifer :)

Holly said...

What a lucky baby! The quilt is gorgeous, I love all the different elements you put into it. Your label is great, I've gotta work harder at making cool labels.

Charlotte said...

so beautiful (and I am still chuckling at the vj quilt!)

Katy Cameron said...

Fab quilt, love design

felicity said...

Love the quilt, love the sweater. Love everything.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

so cute... you are such a great friend! Seriously!

Poppyprint said...

Amazing baby gift. Wow, I love that quilt and wish I had the patience to knit such an adorable wee sweater. You're the best!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I love this quilt and that little knit coat is just too cute for words.

Jacey said...

Wow, a quilt and a sweater? Such a generous and lovely gift! The quilt is lots of fun; the colors, the style, everything! And your sweater is precious. I'm glad you used one of the tags! I ended up giving some of mine away to a friend with kiddos, but they are definitely a cute feature.

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely adore this quilt! And the sweater-- perfect! You are putting all other baby gifts to shame :)

Little Blue Mouse said...

The quilt is beautiful and I love the coat!

Gail said...

I think your little sweater is so adorable. I decided to get the pattern which you are so generous to share. In the process I was prompted to download a PDF reader.. which I did. For some reason, the download came with malware and now I'm told that I may have to take my pc to someone to have it removed. The program has the name "babylon" included. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions to help me.

Carla said...

gorgeous quilt! .........and that little sweater is so precious!

Anonymous said...

I think we should be friends. :) Seriously, this is such a great gift! Obviously made with love. So cute.

Deanna said...

beautiful quilt! I love the clothespin people print too and might just have to splurge on some :) and I think I have to learn how to knit next.

Kelly said...

Oh so sweet!