Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sedum Sweater completed

One of the items I finished up while on holidays was a nice cozy sweater, my second made for me, using the Sedum pattern by Jane Richmond.


I started this adventure way back in April. It is an excellently written pattern that I have been eyeing up for over a year, with its funky oversized collar and hip and wrist bands, and I love the texture that the seed stitch provides. But I must admit that I personally referred to it as "Tedium"....that seed stitch took for-EV-er, especially when required in proportions generous enough to cover the square footage that is my body, and I swore more than once that I would never use this stitch again as long as I live. Although I did make a similar vow after my first round of birthing, and ended up with 3 kids so who knows.


I went for an economical wool this time, the Cascade Ecological Wool in natural, and while it is not as soft as the Madelinetosh and Tanis Fiber Arts yarns I have been spoiled with of late, the end result made a nice soft fabric that feels great against the skin. I added some wooden buttons just from Fabricland, and attached them with some yellow Perle cotton thread for a wee splash of sunshine.


I already have gotten lots of wear out of this one, wearing it on chilly evenings around the campfire. If my husband ever complained of being cold, I would inform him, "That is because you are not wearing a hand knit 100% wool sweater," and proceeded to remind him that this garment was once just a few balls of string and that it is with my superior skill and smarts, and over a million stitches I am sure, that it became this fabulous sweater. He quickly learned to avoid the subject ;)


I love the casual style of this one, and I am sure it will be my go-to sweater this fall. If you would like to learn more, you can check out the details on my ravelry page!

10 comments:

Svetlana said...

what a gorgeous sweater, Kristy. It looks fabulous on you, and keeps you warm, too, right? win, win!!!!Your knitting skills are FANTASTIC!!!!

Little Island Quilting said...

But it's not a quilt... :-(

Angela said...

It looks super cozy! I need to learn to knit sweaters. I've been scared of them. lol

Katie B said...

I love this, and you look adorable!

Unknown said...

The sweater looks great! I'm so glad you're "back"! :)

Tawny said...

So beautiful. I love those wooden buttons. Gives the sweater an even more cozy look than it already has. Well done!

Emily said...

Gorgeous, of course! You are such a great knitter.

Lynne said...

Well done! We call seed stitch "moss stitch" but, whatever its name, it can certainly be tedious. DD is currently knitting a blanket at the request of her husband. She called me to ask if she should make it from moss stitch - definitely not!

Dan R said...

The sweater looks great!

Jacey said...

It looks like a super cozy sweater. Seed stitch does get old to knit, but the look of it is unbeatable. Well done, K!!