Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Glow: candle holder tutorial, two ways

I came across this photo on Pinterest and was smitten! Mason jars and lace happen to be two of my favorite things. And I had been holding on to some gorgeous old antique lace, once belonging to my aunt's mother, so this was just the project for me. I got straight to work whipping up a bunch for birthdays for some of the special ladies in my life :) And of course some for me!


They are gorgeous both as vases for the fresh cut flowers blooming in the garden....


...or as candle holders. I love the glow of the flame through the glass and lace!



Also did a knit version. I used a happy rainbow yarn and a pattern adapted from a legging pattern from and old out of print magazine (knit.1, fall/winter 2005 issue, pg 103). Note- I love the yarn, but I think the pattern may have shown up better using a solid. Hard to see in these photos.


Super cute with lots of holes to let the candlelight through, using ribbon to lace it up one side. I made it for a large mason jar; the knit part took me only 1-2 hours, so pretty quick!


I thought I would write down how I made these in case you would like to try, too!

Now, I feel like I am likely insulting your intelligence by providing a tutorial here for the lace version, they are so simple. Looking around on the web, I saw these done with Modpodge or clear tape, but I opted to pull out my trusty glue gun.


Lace Version:

You will need:

A Mason jar (any size you prefer, larger are nicer for flowers)
Lace
Ribbon, jute, raffia or other trim (pearls, beads, fake flowers, buttons...be creative!)
A glue gun (yours needn't be as messy as mine)
Measuring tape

1. Measure circumference of jar with measuring tape, and cut lace, adding 1/2 inch. Cut a piece of ribbon long enough to tie on.


2. Apply hot glue along length of jar, and tack down one end of lace.


3. Stretch lace around jar back to start point. Fold over edge 1/2 inch and glue in place.


4. Add dots of glue around jar at edges of lace to secure it in place at regular intervals.


5. Add ribbon or embellishment of choice.


6. Insert candle, dim lights, and relax in the glow!



For the knit version, you will need:

Mason jar (large is best, mine was 12.5 inches in circumference and 6 inches tall)
Small amount of worsted weight yarn (or other weight, adjusting as necessary for gauge)
Corresponding straight needles (5mm/ US size 8 for worsted weight)
Lacing ribbon, jute or leather
Measuring tape

Measure circumference and height of mason jar. Pattern is for 12.5" circumference and 6.5" tall. Adjust in multiples of 4 stitches to fit jar and gauge.

Cast on 40 stitches.
Row 1 (WS): slip 1 stitch, p2, *k2, p2; rep from *, end k1
Row 2: sl 1, k1, yo, k1, *p2, k2; rep from * to last 5 st, p2, k1, yo, k2
Row 3: sl 1, p3, *k2, p2; rep from * to last 6 st, k2, p3, k1
Row 4: sl 1, k1, k2tog, *p2, k2; rep from * to last 6 st, p2, k1, k2tog, k1
Row 5: sl 1, *p2, k2; rep from * to last 3 st, p2, k1
Row 6: sl 1, *k1, yo, k1, p2; rep from * to last 3 st, k1, yo, k2
Row 7: sl 1, *p3, k2; rep from * to last 4 st, p3, k1
Row 8: sl 1, *k1, k2tog, p2; rep from * to last 4 st, k1, k2tog, k1
Row 9: sl 1, *p2, k1, yo, k1; rep from * to last 3 st, p2, k1
Row 10: sl 1, *k2, p3; rep from * to last 3 st, k3
Row 11: sl 1, *p2, k1, k2tog; rep from * to last 3 st, p2, k1

Repeat rows 6-11 twice more for 6.5" tall jar (note: each repeat is 1 inch).
Repeat rows 1-5 once.
Bind off in pattern.

Finish by weaving in ends and lacing up on jar using holes!

7 comments:

randi--i have to say said...

Very pretty!

Sandy said...

Those are so pretty. I don't knit but I do crochet... will have to play around with this and figure out a pattern. Thanks for the inspiration!

Svetlana said...

what an adorable idea, Kristie. I especially like "the sweaters" for mason jars. How fun!!!

bethanndodd said...

What a great way to dress up a drab ole' candle jar. I love that you were able to use lace that was handed down to you for the gifts...so sweet. I bet your girls love the colorful one! Smiles~Beth

Katie B said...

Adorable!

Shay said...

I love this idea and Im stealing it for work Christmas gifts !

Thanks for sharing. I can always count on you for inspiration.

Jacey said...

Very sweet candle holders! Such a nice way to use special lace!