Monday, September 12, 2011

Knitting conquests and WIPs

This summer, knitting was my craft of choice. We had such a hot, dry summer here that I didn't want to miss a minute inside at the sewing machine, so knitting was the perfect solution to satisfy my crafty urges while keeping me in the great outdoors. I brought it on car rides to the lake, to the playground while my kids played, or for just lounging in the back yard. It may have looked a bit odd, knitting up toques and mittens in the blazing heat, but it was all good to me!

So- here is what I have been weaving together. First up is a pair of mittens!

These little lovelies were made for a friend, to go with the purple hat that I showed you last month:
I looked high and low for a pattern in the same seed stitch as the hat, but nothing came up. So, I decided to make my own pattern! My first knitting pattern, and they turned out really well! I am planning to whip up another pair to double check a few things and then I will make the pattern available here on zee blog!

In progress: tiny tea leaves, take 2. An orange version of the blue sweater I had made for The Middle Child. Naturally, Last But Not Least started whining for one the second I cast off her sister's. It is my first time using Madelinetosh vintage hand died yarn, and I am IN LOVE. Cost a bit, but, like the "good" quilting cottons, is so worth it. I have to remind myself that, while I would never spend this much to BUY a sweater for my kid, the cost is really part garment and part entertainment for me ;)

Also making up a really cool new slouchy beret-style hat using some gorgeous Malabrigo Rasta yarn. The color is called laguna negra, and has some really beautiful shades of grey and amber.
I have kind of sworn off buying more fabric for a bit while I catch up on my stash, but yarn? Game on! This shade of Madelinetosh Chunky, called Cove, with its greys, browns and blues, has to be one of my all time favorites....


I also added a couple more skeins of Malabrigo Chunky to my stash, in Hummingbird. Likely for another set of seed stitch hat and mittens!
Soon, soon, soon, I will succumb and knit a sweater for me. Looks like I will be spending a lot of time in hockey arenas this winter again, so I think my needles will come along for the ride!

10 comments:

Sasha said...

I love your yarn choices and your projects look beautiful!!!!! I didn't knit all summer, so now that the weather is cooling a bit I'm excited to pick up the knitting needles again!!

randi--i have to say said...

love the purple set! so pretty!

Katie B said...

So cute! I love your mittens! They look really cozy. And that gray and amber yarn is so dreamy!!

bethanndodd said...

I know nothing about yarn but those are lovely! I really need to learn how to knit or crochet. Great stuff!!!
Smiles~Beth

Shay said...

Laughing at the comment above mine. You've gone over to the dark side my friend, but it all looks so lovely.

Lynne said...

Lovely knitting. Congratulations on making a successful first pattern.

With my sinuses so badly infected at the moment, knitting is almost all I can do!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! You so have me back to knitting. I'm almost done with a pair of socks and starting a new seed stitch hat. Can't wait for you to do your mitten pattern! So love your yarn collection!!

corina said...

It's all your fault! After seeing all the beautiful things you knit, I signed up for a knitting class at Michaels. My last knitting experience resulted in stitches so tight I couldn't slip a strand of thread between the loop and needle, never mind actually knit. We'll see how it goes ;)

Melissa said...

I've got a serious case of *Yarn Envy* right now. Wow! Love all the colours - cool grays, warm ambers.. Beautiful! And congratulations on your first knitting pattern! Can't wait for it to come out although I'm not super confident I can tackle knitting up a pair of mitts quite yet..

KendasCrafts said...

love that seed stitch! Looking forward to seeing your next sweater.