Thursday, November 3, 2011

my little knitters

(I have had this post written for awhile and had forgotten to post it! As you can see it is from a couple months ago...my kids are still in summer clothes! Anyways......)

My kids have been begging me to teach them how to knit. I thought they might be a bit young, but decided to give it a go. I started with The Middle Child...

Now, she is one smart cookie, but not known for her dexterity or ability to focus on anything resembling work for more than 14 seconds. Not to mention she is only 6 years old! I have been blown away by how hard she worked to get it right and how quickly she has figured it all out! The other night, we were heading out the the playground and she asked if she could bring her knitting along so she could sit on the bench and knit like Mommy. Soon, we had an audience of enthralled kids gathered around while she patiently showed them and described the steps to make a stitch. Adorable!

Well, seeing this attention, the other two were right in there. Can we learn Mommy? I want to knit! I decided to give it a go with Big G, my uber sporty 7 year old son.


Right away, his competitive streak was engaged:

"How many rows does she have? Is mine longer? I can beat her!"

His confidence also never seems to waver:

"I am REALLY good at ALL of the knitting steps. Look how fast I am! Can I do a sweater next? I am terrific at this."

Terrific MAY be a bit subjective...... :) We MIGHT want to work on accuracy over speed!

Currently they are knitting their way through mini scarves to keep their favorite dolls and teddies warm this winter. Pretty darn cute, and I am pretty darn proud :)

17 comments:

randi--i have to say said...

this is sweet! it's fun when the kids want to follow in our footsteps!

Katie B said...

I love it! The competition is awesome. I taught my niece to knit last Christmas, and she caught on really quickly! I feel like it took me forever to learn. Younger brain cells help, I guess.

Tiara said...

So cute. I just started knitting as well I would be comparing mine more to Big G's

Emily said...

I love this! Your son sounds exactly like mine (the oldest, Riley), with the competitiveness and the "I am so good at this" language. :) I have a similar post about teaching Riley to crochet that I never posted - I should probably post that too!

Barb said...

Fabulous! I'm so impressed with your kids...I'd like to teach mine too, but then I guess I'll have to learn myself. Your story reminds me of the Stuart Maclean story where the boys knit on the way to hockey tournaments...have you heard that one?

Alli said...

How awesome! I love that they asked you to teach them. :)

Stephanie said...

That is really awesome, good for them :)

Kim @ craftyNHmom said...

Wow, that's incredible! They must have patience, learning to knit isn't easy.

Jennifer said...

That is so cool! It's so fun when our kids want to craft like us.

But I must admit that seeing your kids learn, makes me feel like an even bigger goofball because I have tried to learn to knit at least 5 different times all to no avail. I'll just keep on blaming it on being a lefty... ;)

Jennifer :)

Shay said...

I love that your kids are interested in knitting. I remember when my Mum taught me to knit a billion years ago .

You've just created a memory your kids will remember forever!

(That knitting looks fine to me !)

Little Blue Mouse said...

Aw, that's lovely that they're so enthusiastic.

bethanndodd said...

I need to have your daughter teach me ;)
Great job to both of them!
SMiles~Beth

Anonymous said...

So cute! I wonder if Odelia can knit yet??? I will have to try to teach her again.

Lynne said...

Well done on you and congratulations to them. We (DD is a knitter too) loved the stories about both of your children.

Pomona said...

No wonder you are proud! Fantastic to get such littlies to learn to knit - and stick at it, too.

Pomona x

Kristy said...

Wonderful! My girls and I just had our first knitting lesson yesterday....hmmmmm....let's just say it's gonna take some practice! ;)

Babbellotta said...

I learned to knit when I was 6 years old - now a 33 years ago. I have a daughter of my own now and guess what? she is 7 and wants to learn how to knit like mommy... I also quilt and sew clothing for my kids... is it to much to hope that this interest in my addiction will continue and that she will become a quilter/crochetter/knitter/sewing girl just like her mommy?.. love your blog, keep the posting comming!