Thursday, November 24, 2011

Seed stitch mittens: a pattern


I wanted to make some mittens in seed stitch to go with my hat made with the Autumn pattern by Jane Richmond. Nothing I could find was catching my eye, so, with necessity as the mother of invention, I decided, what the heck, I would write my own pattern!


This pattern is for one pair of seed stitch mittens. The smaller size is a woman's, the large are made to fit men. To modify size larger or smaller from here, you need to cast on with +/- 6 stitches to maintain both the 2-1 ribbing and to have an odd number of stitches for the seed stitch.



Pattern notes:

Sizes: Woman (Men)

Materials:
Yarn: Malabrigo Chunky, gauge 3-3.5 st/inch
- approximately one skein (104 yards/ 3.5 oz) required (I went slightly over for the men's size)
Needles: 6mm/US 10 dpns or long circular if using the magic loop method
Yarn needle to weave in ends

Abbreviations: K=knit, P=purl, M=make one, dpn= double pointed needles, st=stitch, K2tog= knit 2 together, P2tog= purl 2 together

Seed stitch: this stitch involves alternating knitting and purling stitches, then repeating the same in the opposite order in the proceeding round.
round 1: k1, (p1, k1) to end of round
round 2: p1, (k1, p1) to end of round

Note: Both left and right mittens are knit the same.


Directions:
Cast on 21(27) stitches. Divide stitches in multiples of 3 onto 3 dps or into 2 groups for magic loop method. Join in the round, being careful not to twist.

Ribbing:
Round 1: (K2 P1) to end of round
Repeat for 2.5 inches

Thumb gusset:
Round 1: K1, (P1, K1) repeat to end of round
Round 2: K1, P1, K1, P1 then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 3: K1, P1, K1, M1, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with K1
Round 4: K1, P1, K2, P1 then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 5: K1, P1, K1, M1, K1, P1 then seed stitch to end of round starting with K1
Round 6: K1, P1, K3, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 7: K1, P1, K1, M1, K2, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with K1
Round 8: K1, P1, K4, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 9: K1, P1, K1, M1, K3, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with K1
Round 10: K1, P1, K5, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 11: K1, P1, K1, M1, K4, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with K1
Round 12: K1, P1, K6, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 13: K1, P1, K1, M1, K5, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with K1
Round 14: K1, P1, K7, P1,then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 15: K1, P1, K1, M1, K6, P1, then seed stitch to end of round starting with K1
Round 16: K1, P1, K8, P1, then then seed stitch to end of round starting with P1
Round 17: K2, slip 8 onto stitch holder, cast on one stitch using backward loop method, then (P1, K1) to end of round: 21 (27) st on needles

Body of mitten:
Round 1: P1,(K1, P1) repeat to end of round
Round 2: K1, (P1, K1) repeat to end of round
Continue to repeat round 1 and 2 (i.e. seed stitch) until mitten is 7 (8) inches from top of ribbing, ending with round 2

Top shaping:

Men's:
Round 1: P1, (K2tog, P2 tog) to end: 14st on needles
Round 2: (K1, P1) to end
Round 3: (K2tog, P2tog) to end: 7 st on needles

Women's:
Round 1: P1, (K2tog, P2tog) to end: 11 st on needles
Round 2: K1, (P1, K1) to end
Round 3: P1, K2tog, (P2tog, K2tog) to end: 6 st on needles

Both sizes: Cut yarn, leaving a 4 inch tail, thread through remaining stitches and pull tight. Weave in tail on inside of mitten to secure.

Thumb:
Transfer 8 stitches from holder onto needles and knit. Pick up 6 stitches at base of thumb (for a total of 14 st). Divide on 3 needles (4-4-4) and knit in the round until thumb measures 2 inches.
Next round: K2tog to end (7 st on needles).
Next: knit
Next: K1, (K2tog) to end
Cut yarn with a 4 inch tail, thread through remaining 4 stitches and pull tight. Weave in tail on inside of mitten and secure.

Finishing:
Weave in remaining ends and get set to make some snowballs!! Don't forget to make a second one, eh?

15 comments:

Annmarie said...

Great looking mittens - I like the long cuff - thanks for sharing the pattern.

Little Island Quilting said...

Quicker to, cough cough, knit a hat, cough cough.

Tanya said...

Nice, I'll try those when I have some free time...might be next winter at the pace things have been going, but I'll still need mittens then!

Rachel said...

Very nice! I'm not sure I'm ready to make mittens yet. It's those darned thumbs - I always end up with a hole at the base of the thumb. Ah, maybe I need a challenge. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I need to find time to start some mittens, yours look awesome!
Life is getting in the way of everything right now!!

Lynne said...

They look great; I am way too sticky to think about knitting mittens (after all, summer starts tomorrow)!

Nichola said...

I love these mittens! In this part "Continue to repeat round 1 and 2 (i.e. seed stitch) until mitten is 7 (8) inches from top of ribbing, ending with round 2" when you say 7(8) from top of ribbing does that mean from the cast on edge or from where the ribbing transitions to seed stitch?

Thanks for the great pattern!

Unknown said...

These are absolutely STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL!! WISH I could find some time to knit again!!really nice, thanks for the pattern, someday I hope to make these and your hat!!

Unknown said...

didn't know the hat pattern to go with this wasn't free as well; guess I'll just be getting the mittens then !!

Unknown said...

Great mittens! I modified the pattern to make a left & right mitten simply by knitting one mitten in reverse for the thumb gusset part. I started with the seeds stitch and worked the pattern in reverse so the last stitches were the k1 p1k1. Turned out perfect!

Heather J said...

Thank you for the pattern! I am modifying them slightly to make them for an older child. I reduced by 6 sts at the CO, but I found on the first mitt that I do not know how to reduce the thumb, so I just made it up as a went. With the second mitt, I am going to try write out what I do and if it works well enough, I'll post a modified version of the pattern on my blog, linking back to you for the original, of course! :)

Unknown said...

Your mittens look beautiful, but mine don't seem to be working out as well. How are you M1 (making one, I usually knit through the front and back of stitch), but then my seed stitch is off if I continue to follow the pattern. Help please! These are so nice, I want to get it right!!
Thanks
Jennifer

kidnurse Lin said...

Thanks for the fun pattern! Can't wait to make some.

Carolknits said...

For the thumb you have 14 stitches and you divide them on to 3 needles, 4-4-4...that's only 12 sts. How about 4-4-6?
Love the pattern-warmer than just plain stockinette stitch:)

lookatbrightside said...

Love this pattern. I had made mittens and lost one. They were my favourite so I am knitting up another pair now.