Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Drunkard's Path QAL: the one where the magic happens


Phew! Anyone else a bit dizzy? I will never fear sewing curves again! Well prepared for life, I am :)

So now you have this big stack of squares, and an infinite set of possibilities of how to piece them together. I haven't come to a final decision on my block arrangement yet. I love them all! I have eliminated the circle options as I have done a DP-like circle quilt in the past (here). Here are a few options I am exploring:

"Criss cross," by color:

"Criss cross," scrappy:
Mirror image flowers (can you see how what is white on one side is solid on the other side of the block?). I only took a picture of this one scrappy:

The following is 4 blocks, which each have a diamond shape, but I can see a secondary white "floral" look in the center of the 4 when I put it all together. First option is sorted by color:
Second option is scrappy:


Then there is this fun, scallop-y stripe option:
Not sure what to call this...reminds me of tops of pillars?


You see why this is so hard? What do you think? I'd love to get your "vote" on how you think I should go from here! Please leave me a comment with your 2 cents, I am needing a nudge!

So, once you have made the big decision, start assembling those blocks! I like to take photos of my layout as a guide as I make them up. Also, I don't have a design wall where these can sit and wait for me, so a photo helps me remember where things go! My QAL partner, Kate, has some suggestions as to how she gets organized to sew her blocks as well, so go visit her and take a look!

We'll meet back next week to assemble those blocks into the finished quilt top. The following week we will have a link up of the finished tops to be eligible for some awesome prizes from Fresh Squeezed Fabrics and The Fabric Shoppe! We will let you all have a week or so to link up before declaring a winner, so you still have 3 weeks to make it happen, even if you haven't started yet. Come on, jump in! You can get further support and inspiration from our DP Flickr group :)

24 comments:

Tiara said...

Like them all but mirror image is my favorite!

Susan said...

I love all the flower designs the best!

Shay said...

The scallopy stripe is floating my boat! It's so pretty!

(From one who is still scared of curves because she didn't participate!)

Anonymous said...

Oh PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make the scallopy stripe! That is so beautiful!

Ashley
ashleymjones@live.com

Unknown said...

I love the criscross by color- so so pretty. Or the mirror image flowers too.

I need to get my hands on some Ruby!

lindalou said...

Although they are all very cool, I think I like the mirror image flowers best. I'm not a quilter...so don't put much weight behind my vote.

Denise in PA said...

They are all nice, but I really love the diamond shape sorted by color!

dlwharp@yahoo.com

Robin said...

I love "second option is scrappy". The white in the blocks turnes into a flower! My least favorite is "criss cross by color", looks like R2-D2's ;). Love them all really! Thank you for putting this togethter for us!!!

Dan R said...

My favorites are the scrappy criss-cross and mirror flowers!

Barbara said...

I love the diamond-y shapes with the white flower in the middle...they're so cute!

Patti said...

That fabric is gorgeous Kristie! I think my favourite is the mirror image, followed by the scrappy criss cross. Good luck with your choice.I am still sewing curves as I put blocks together, but I am getting quite fast at it! Thanks for the nice comment on oops!

Anonymous said...

I say the mirror image. Or the 4 block sorted by color, so pretty. Great job!

BrianG said...

I love the by color diamonds. So many options!

Little Island Quilting said...

I like them all apart from first and last ones which don't quite do it for me!

Sandra (Cherry Heart) said...

Beautiful scallops! My fav is the 4 diamonds that also make white flowers, the scrappy version - delightful. Although a close second is the scalloped stripes - that's cool.

Good luck with whichever you go for, I'm sure it'll look fab.

S x

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I love the 4 diamonds sorted by color the best!

Michele said...

I like the mirror image flowers the best. And my hats off to you for doing this in the first place. My motto "I don't do curves" so I would never attempt something like this.

bethanndodd said...

Whew, I am definately feeling a little as well. I stayed up until about 1 a.m. to finish getting ALL 325 blocks sewn together...happy dance!! I am a little biased to the diamond one with the white floral touch. I also really like the very first picture...love the design and the same fabric colors grouped together. Good luck making a decision. No matter you do it will look amazing!! Thanks for inspiring me...I would have never tried curves otherwise (especially not this many!!)
Smiles~Beth

Katie B said...

Wow! Such fun options! I really like all of them, but the mirror image flowers and scallops are my favorite.

I'm afraid my DRunkard's Path will have to wait until after Christmas. Sniff.

Anonymous said...

Diamonds!! Love the diamonds! The flowers remind me too much of the CBC logo! Can't get past seeing the old school 80's multi-colored CBC logo!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

Crud! How did I not know about this quilt along???? I sooooo wanna do this!!!!!!!!!!

Martha Bean said...

I'm on team diamonds sorted by colour. I love how it makes the white flower. So pretty with your sweet fabrics.

Will you do a quick How-To for posting our pictures? I am so excited to show everyone my first time successful curves!

Laurie said...

I prefer the layout that gives you a secondary pattern. That way the eyes have two options to focus on when looking at the quilt, and it provides movement. More interesting. Just my 2 cents worth. Beautiful job!

leslie said...

definately the diamond shape by color! love it