Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fabric Necklace Tutorial

I love a quick project. There is something to be said for instant gratification. This fabric choker is just the ticket! All you need is 20 minutes (!!!), and you have a snazzy little accessory to wear out on the town. You don't even have to heat up your iron for this one!

You will need: -2 strips of cotton fabric, measuring 2.25 inches wide, length the width of fabric yardage (42")
-5 beads, 1" (25 mm) in diameter (I used Elmer's wood ball knob beads, from the kids craft section of Walmart. Under $4 for 15 beads).
-coordinating thread
-a safety pin

Pick your fabric and let's go!

I was feeling a little Dolce...and a bit Lotus :-) 1. Align your fabric strips, right sides facing, and sew down the length to make a long tube using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving the 2 ends open.
2. Invert the tube by attaching the safety pin to one end and insert pin in open tube.
Feed the pin down the length of the tube, pushing fabric as you go, until the pin emerges out the opposite side. 3. Find the center of the tube. Tie a knot just off center. Drop a bead in the tube (on the slightly longer side). Push bead down until it reaches the know, and place a second knot on the other side of the bead to "trap" it.
4. Add 2 more beads on either side of the center one, placing a knot after each bead is added.
5. Tuck in your open ends, sew to close.
6. Place around your neck and tie it up at the back. Admire.

You did it! I told you it was easy! Now go gloat in front of a mirror for awhile :-)
I hope you enjoyed the fabric choker tutorial. As always, I would love to see a picture of your creation in my Flickr pool! Please use this tutorial for personal use only. Enjoy!


6 comments:

lindalou said...

Super cute and easy. Sure wish I had a sewing machine.

I came over from Opps..Pants. Love the name of your blog. Cracked me up.

Candace said...

Kristie, you officially have been crowned "World's Greatest Crafter". The necklace is super cute!

LakshmiRP said...

Thanks. This seems really nice and quick. Will surely give it a try and hope u don't mind if i link you in my blog for this tute.

Quiltstory said...

So cute!! I may just be using this tutorial soon!! And that Amy Butler Lotus dots, the blue and gray, is one of my very favorite prints!! Thanks for linking up on Fabric Tuesdays, see you next week! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!! I have seen others like these but they were just too complicated...you have made these easy as pie for us!! Thanks again :)

Anonymous said...

So simple & such a terrific idea! Thank you :)